Pediatric Naturopathic Care
Natural Treatments Available
Naturopathic Training and Scope
Naturopathic Philosophy of Care
"...as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."
~ Nelson Mandela
Katia is passionate about providing holistic pediatric care and empowering parents to use safe, effective and natural medicines at home with their children. She is a mother of two (with a third on the way) and the author of a variety of parenting resources (see www.doctormom.me for details). Katia is currently on a leave of absence from her naturopathic practice. To be notified when she is again welcoming clients, please send an email to: admin @ drbailetti . com
Over the past 12 years, Katia has worked in hospitals, long-term care facilities, emergency care and multidisciplinary primary health care settings. She also leads health-related emergency planning initiatives for the Ontario Government. Before beginning her medical studies at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2000, Katia completed a degree in biology at the University of Ottawa and a paramedic diploma at Humber College.
Katia believes that healthy communities raise healthy children. She has been presented with various awards over the years recognizing her volunteer and community building efforts. Katia donates a percentage of profits from book sales to support health-related children's charities such as Free The Children. Free the Children is a registered charity that was founded by a Canadian 12-year-old in 1995. Katia has chosen to support this charity because they offer a unique holistic approach to empowering children and families to break out of poverty and improve their health.
Katia has recently served on the board of the Association of Perinatal Naturopathic Doctors.
Naturopathic care compliments your child's regular doctor visits. The naturopathic approach to health and healing different from that of conventional medicine. The naturopathic way emphasizes the following:
- Using of the most gentle and least invasive treatments to restore health. Side effects from naturopathic treatments are typically rare and minor or absent. Aggressive therapy and surgery is avoided until necessary.
- Listening to your child's symptoms as they are important clues that indicate where there is an imbalance in the body. Addressing the cause of the symptoms will result in healing. Focusing on suppressing the symptoms and not addressing the cause, will result in more symptoms and further deterioration of health.
- Developing a personal health plan that takes into account your child's unique set of strengths and susceptibilities based on their genetics, environment, mental and emotional health, lifestyle and life history. This plan will be tailored to your child and may include the use of herbs, nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies, acupressure, massage, water therapy, counselling and mind-body medicine.
- Stimulating your child's natural ability to heal him/herself using safe and effective natural medicines. Our bodies have a remarkable ability to heal given the right circumstances. Naturopathic medicine focuses on strengthening this natural ability to restore health and remove barriers to the healing process. Obstacles to healing can include inadequate nutrition, exposure to toxins and excess stress.
- Encouraging questions and empowering clients to make informed decisions about their health through open communication. The length of your visit will range from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on your needs. You will have the time to voice your concerns, ask questions and your child's naturopathic doctor will have time to review key information with you.
Traditional wisdom and modern research are combined to assess the health of each child and to develop individual treatment plans. Treatment plans may include any of the following:
- Herbal medicine: children's teas, oils and liquid mixtures of plant extracts are taken internally or applied topically to restore the body's ability to heal itself
- Homeopathic medicine: very gentle energetic remedies that stimulate the body's overall ability to heal itself
- Nutritional medicine: nutritional supplements and dietary modifications to provide the body what it needs to function optimally
- Acupressure: pressure on energy points is used to enhance the natural flow of energy in the body, stimulate healing and restore organ balance
- Massage: gentle hands-on therapy to improve detoxification, digestion, relaxation and circulation and decrease pain
- Hydrotherapy: baths, soaks and other water treatments are used to enhance circulation and detoxification
- Counselling: support during life transitions and gentle guidance while moving through challenging life events and towards a more balanced life
- Mind-body medicine: breathing, relaxation, visualization and other techniques to stimulate the relaxation response to improve digestion, immune function, hormone balance, decrease anxiety and decrease pain
Naturopathic medicine can be used to improve the health of every child, regardless of what symptoms they are presenting with. This is because the focus is on strengthening the child's ability to heal. The length and extent of the naturopathic treatment plan will vary with the child's current state of health.
Parents commonly visit naturopathic pediatric doctors for help with the following conditions:
- Attention disorders
- Cradle Cap
- Dry or itchy skin
- Ear infections (otitis)
- Eye infections (pink eye, conjunctivitis)
- Food sensitivities
- Nasal congestion
- Skin rashes
- Sleep disturbances
- Tummy aches
- Vaccine or immunization information or alternatives
Pediatric Naturopathic Doctors can also help:
- Avoid exposure to toxins and improve your child's ability to detoxify
- Decrease your child's risk of complications from drugs, surgeries and vaccinations
- Obtain reliable information about childhood vaccinations and natural vaccine support or alternatives
- Speed recovery after birth, injuries and surgeries and non-physical traumas
- Improve your child's ability to concentrate and learn without drugs (e.g. for ADD, ADHD, hyperactivity, learning disorders)
- Optimize overall health from conception to adulthood
- Offer parenting advice that is congruent with the naturopathic approach to health.
Naturopathic doctors are the only licensed primary care providers in the field of alternative medicine. Licensed naturopathic doctors in Ontario have achieved the following training:
- University degree, including various medical prerequisites in biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics and psychology
- 4,100 hours of academic and clinical training and a diploma from a four-year full-time accredited naturopathic medical college including one year clinical internship
- Successful completion of North American licensing exams including basic sciences, (anatomy, biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, physiology and pathology), as well as clinical sciences (physical and clinical diagnosis, laboratory diagnosis and diagnostic imaging, pharmacology, emergency medicine, clinical nutrition, physical medicine, botanical medicine, psychology, traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture and homeopathy)
- Successful completion of Ontario licensing exams including practical exams, (physical and clinical diagnosis, acupuncture and manipulation), as well as Ontario jurisprudence
- Ongoing clinical skills updates through continuing medical education requirements
- Valid license from the Board of Directors of Drugless Therapies - Naturopathy
NDs are trained to:
- Perform complete physical exams and take complete medical histories: We suggest that all children obtain a complete physical exam once a year. Depending on your child's current symptoms and medical history, additional assessments may be recommended, (e.g. orthopedic, stress or nutritional assessments).
- Perform and interpret naturopathic and conventional medical laboratory test: Depending on your child's current symptoms and medical history, your naturopathic doctor may recommend additional testing to evaluate your stress level, toxic load, sensitivity to food.
- Diagnose naturopathic and conventional medical conditions: Naturopathic diagnosis is based on identifying imbalances in body systems. This helps naturopaths treat the cause of the disease, not just the symptoms, as well as catch disturbances in the early stages, before they become full blown conditions.
- Prescribe and carry out naturopathic treatment plans: Your child's individual treatment plan can include any combination of naturopathic treatments including: herbal medicine, homeopathy, acupressure, clinical nutrition, counselling, lifestyle modifications, massage and hydrotherapy.
- Monitor your progress: You will be reassessed in a follow up visit at the end of your treatment plan in order to monitor your progress.
- Work collaboratively with other health care professionals: Naturopathic doctors often refer to and work with pediatricians, family medical doctors, massage therapists, chiropractors, osteopaths, counsellors and other health care professionals to provide high-quality integrative healthcare.
Naturopathic doctors are trained similarly to medical doctors, but our guiding principles differ. Principles that guide the practice of naturopathic medicine are listed below.
- First, do no harm: your child's health is our top priority, we use safe, effective and natural treatments
- Strengthen each individual's self-healing ability: we do not override your body's natural healing mechanisms
- Find and treat the cause of the disease instead of only suppressing symptoms
- Heal the whole person (including mind, body and spirit) through thorough assessments and individualized treatment plans
- Teach the principles of prevention and healthy living
Notify me when I can schedule an appointment.
Buy parenting resources.
Tell a friend!
Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.